Thursday, February 9, 2012

Power to...Regret Nothing?

I'd drawn a literal version of the Tatoba combo as purely a joke and it was supposed to stay that way but...I didn't anticipate falling in love with my own design.  So I wanted to draw him more, gave him a personality, and wanted to draw him under the influence of the Putotyra medals.

I also uploaded progress shots of this months ago but didn't finish this until recently (a few weeks ago).  Most of my digital paintings take forever but I didn't mean for it to take so long.  Class work got in the way of me finishing this before halloween so I could use it for an icon  I can use it for an icon this Halloween though.

Mostly practice for 1) drawing a bird's beak from a front view, 2) semi-realism (drawing something "realistically" but not going all out on texture like I usually do, 3) drawing a semi-realistic literal Tatoba, and 4) lighting/shading.  While I like doing realistic work, I think I prefer this way of painting it more.  Mostly because it's more time efficient and it doesn't wear my hand out as much.

The eyes turned out more pink than purple but the effect still works just as well.

I don't know if I'll draw him under Putotyra's influence again.  I like him much better as a happy character.  Yeah, he's a joke character and thus technically "not mine", but I still gave him a personality and everything for fun.  And I made him happy, optimistic, and a bit "derpy" (for lack of a better word).  So for the most part he'll stay that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment