Wednesday, August 24, 2011

MLP:FIS- Tori no Greeed (Ankh)

So that title...I guess it'd roughly "translate" out to "My Little P"OOO"ny: Friendship is Subarashii!- Tori no Greeed". Just my little way of having fun with it (and being obnoxious with the title). The "friendship is subarashii" thing I didn't come up with. That first part came from this image: My Little P"OOO"ny: Friendship is Subarashii!!!!!!!!

Which was also the reason I felt like drawing Ankh (the "tori no greeed) as a pony. Now I'm sure there's some person who'll just be like "ugghhh! Not another MLP fan!". In all honesty, I don't understand the show's popularity. The art style is sub-par. I really don't like it. It's flat and uninteresting. The animation is sub-par. The voices range from being decent to being extremely annoying (which it is for most of the characters). And the jokes/writing are/is boring even for a children's show's standards. It's just another standard child's show and I don't think it warrants the overwhelming popularity that it has. That being said...I couldn't resist drawing Ankh-chan as a pony.




Couldn't figure out if I was going to give him no wings, one wing, or both wings. Technically he could be drawn either way. Generally in OOO, since he's using Shingo's body, he just looks like a regular person. Once he got 3 of his cores back, he was shown with one wing that easily broke due to his body being unstable. And when Lost Ankh was destroyed and he had 6 of his cores, he was shown with both wings.

So in the color picture he only has one wing. Not only does the one wing aesthetic appeal to me but that scene is one of my favorites in the series. The sketch I attempted to draw both wings but drawing wings at that angle is always difficult for me so I can't say that it isn't because I didn't draw the other wing properly. Since it wasn't well drawn, I figured it'd be best if I just went for the one wing aesthetic.

The second thing I had to figure out was the "cutie mark" (I think that's what it's called). It was between his three medals and a popsicle. Why a popsicle? 'Cause it's generally the only thing he eats in the show. And he really likes them. Since I couldn't decide between the two I just gave him both.



I discarded this first sketch for the fact that the proportions were way off. Limbs were too long. Face wasn't "toony" enough. I just didn't like it but I decided to save it to show that sometimes I do draw with some sort of process involved.



This was closer to what I wanted but still the proportions weren't "toony" enough. For this one I decided to draw him without the wings. Just wanted to see how it looks and it looks fine. But I do like the wings. So decided to make a third sketch and that one ended up being the "charm".

I don't know if I want to draw any of the other characters as ponies. Really the only character I wanted to draw as one was Ankh and that was just "for the lulz".

No comments:

Post a Comment